Some tips I’ve found streaming with xsplit. There’s tons of information online, but these are some of the big things I’ve had issues with that I’ve been able to fix:
- Make sure you have all drivers up to date
- You would be amazed the number of times this has messed me up. Out of date (or missing) drivers can make your webcam’s colors look washed out, your audio to stop working, or even prevent your game from showing up. Update everything!
- Backup your Scenes and Presentations
- Making scenes is a great tool in Xsplit (more on that in a minute) but it’s very easy to make some changes and then lose your old scene. Not to mention crashes can corrupt your scene or cause you to lose your work. I like to keep all my gaming related files in my Onedrive account as I know that’ll be installed right away if anything happens and I have to reinstall Windows on my streaming PC. Google Drive or Dropbox work just as well, but I suggest making saves of your scenes or presentations there so that you can find them again if anything happens
- Use linked sources!!
- Linked sources make sharing things between scenes very easy. I especially like this for my webcam so that I don’t need to redo all my custom settings for the camera on each scene. Warning though: it’s not worth doing this if you’re going to make the item very customized per scene
- Specific game captures seem to work better
- I don’t know if this is a hard and fast rule but I’ve had much better success with selecting specific games in the game capture mode rather than just auto detect. It might just be me or coincidence but I get lower CPU usage and the quality seems better to me.
- Hotkeys make everything easier
- Seriously, just set up the hotkeys. It makes everything way easier. I have a Razer Orbweaver that is specifically set up just to work as hot keys in different apps. For Xsplit it can select different scenes, go live, change audio settings, and way more with just a key stroke. It makes changing scenes much easier while in the middle of a game.
Anyways, that’s all for now. I’ll update this list as things change or I get new ideas.